Listing of Lameco Instructors

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by silat1, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Twist,

Hello there, I hope that all is well with you there in Germany. Thanks for commenting on the thread.

PG Sulite spoke of the "Batangas" (Balisong) system as a knife fighting system with lethal, less-than-lethal and empty hand implications. Batangas is a village located in Northern Luzon which is the place where the batangas knife (balisong) was first created. PG Sulite wrote the second of his 3 books "Advanced Balisong" covering material from now sub-system of Lameco Eskrima.

As for Lameco Eskrima PG Sulite always clarified that Lameco was neither a stick fighting system, nor was it a sword fighting system or knife fighting system. Rather it was an effective combative system which could be translated and used in accordance with what ever instrument of that could be placed in the human hand. To the extent that you find nothing with which to fight and you would translate that combative knowledge bone to bone (buto-buto).

The curriculum of Lameco Eskrima is the same concerning all weapons and weapon combinations however the major difference found in the translation and usage of each technique, concept or principle is found in the emphasis of the weapon used or lack of weapon. You will fight differently with a knife than you would with a stick which would be fought with differently than a sword or machete.

One system with many different facets of usage, direclty dependant on the type of weapon used and what the major emphasis of those weapons are. In answering the second part of your question I doubt that any system can trace their lineage to pure pilipino heritage. After all we are talking of a culture that for centuries has been interacting with numerous asiatic tribes regionally and let us not forget the 1521 - 1898 Spanish occupation. What is Indonesian? What is Malaysian? What is influenced from Borneo? What is Spanish? What is Dutch? What is Portuguese? What is Pilipino? This is a very difficult question to enter into as there is much conjecture in any probable answer.

Its over all combative effect is enough for me... regardless from whence it came. Go well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

2. Guro Dave Gould

As well guys Kali Pekiti- Tirsia was a major empty-hand influence on Lameco Eskrima. Tuhon Leo T. Gaje jr. has a very elaborate sub-system in this regard.

In addition Kali Ilustrisimo has very good empty hand against the knife.

There are numerous influences and all deserve an honorable mention but the concentrated majority of the empty hand curriculum in Lameco was from the "Batangas" system.

Guro Dave Gould.

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I agree with Guro Gould in the sense of functionality being more crucial point here than the geographical origin. after all, in my view the exact characteristic feature of FMA lies on the fact that they are able to ADAPT. In other words, it means, on one hand, the ability to manage yourself in any situation at hand, but also to take whatever new experiences (including seeing/feeling other fighting systems) and adapt them (read: integrate them) in one's own training and apply them combatively.
    Finally, I believe that the main reason for FMA keeping its combative edge in modern day is the cultural heritage of emphasizing the function over the form, unlike some traditional arts coming from other Eastern countries.

OK, now off I go to tackle my training challenges...

4. citom

citom New Member

Minor correction: Batangas is a province in Southern Luzon. Balisong is the name of a barangay (village) in the municipality of Taal, which is in Batangas province. Barangay Balisong is reputed to be the birthplace of the balisong.

5. Guro Dave Gould

Thank you for the correction Citom...

Guro Dave Gould.

6. corwin137

corwin137 Slayer of knuckledraggers

Thanks much for noting those items. Really interesting to see not just the number of tools, but some attention to different levels of force, and other potential concerns (other tools showing up etc.). Those things all largely mirror what I've gotten.

Could I pry further and ask how the material was organized? Meaning, did he isolate "kickboxing" tools, time hitting (or sectoring if one prefers), gunting, destructions, locks/traps/throws, tools, ranges, "foul tactics" etc, then integrate? Assuming I missed some things too.

Hope I'm not leaning on you for too much... thanks again.

7. Datu AbdulJakul Salsalani

Datu AbdulJakul Salsalani -== Banned ==-

This topic is a very interesting.

I am wandering if one your gentleman would be so kind as to elaborate further on the difference between the Astig Lameco and Valencia Lameco methodolgy to advance my understanding and erradicate my ignorances as per the various versions of Lameco.

What are the major differences between Valencia Lameco and the Astig Lameco?

And also if your gentleman would be so kind as to explain perhaps the definition of Astig? I understand that Valencia is a family name, but what are the meaning of the Astig?

Salamat,

Datu Abdul Jakul Salsalani

8. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

It's tagalog slang. Kinda means cool, tough or hardcore. Comes from the word tigas.

9. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

According to Guro Agbulos, who is the founder of the school (please note that I wrote school and not style or system) ASTIG means "hard core" or "die hard", basically pointing to the dedication to those very fundamental principles of Lameco, i.e. functionality and comabative efficency.

Regarding the specific features of the ASTIG methodology, you can find more in GM Rey Galang's books "Masters of the Blade" and "Warrior Arts of the Philippines", or at the web site www.astiglameco.com

I hope this was of some help...
    Cheers!

10. Tiger Hand

Tiger Hand New Member

Are any of these guys, specifically, teaching out in Alaska around the Anchorage area?
    I've been learning from Wayne Keller out in Oregon the past few years, but I'm going to be in Alaska for a few years and I got no intentions of quitting. Lameco is a pretty good style, and if I can find a teacher I'd like to get some time in their training hall/dojo/gym/garage.

Sorry to bring up a kind of dead topic, but I'm hoping for a lead.

11. Steve Grody

Steve Grody New Member

Hi All,
    I don't know if I get some kind of special prize for having such a late response (almost ten years after the conversation), but my Flow of Filipino Kali Empty Hands (1-3) is very much a straight-up representation of the Lacoste/Inosanto system. My desire was to organize a comprehensive view of material that was spread out over time in Dan Inosanto's training. I look forward to a time when Dave Gould decides to put together something on Lameco empty hand material.