Thread: Oración and Anting Anting

Thanks

Default Oración and Anting Anting

I've seen a few references to the Filipino warrior's oración (prayer: specifically, a prayer for protection) and Anting Anting - an amulet/talisman that has the key to invincibility.

Anyone have more information about these mystical practices?

Just curious
    "You will never be the person you can be if pressure, motivation, and discipline are taken out of your life." - Dr. James G. Bilkey
    www.MySpace.com/CKaur
    www.NorthernSanctuary.blogspot.com

Thanks

Watch this clip starting at about 4:00, well watch the whole thing, but the end is Tuhon Gaje talking about oracion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXfZ9C9vJso&search=pekiti

Thanks

Carol,
    Forgive my if my memory is a bit fuzzy on this topic.

From what I have read from Guro Dan, the oracion was emphasized in Florio Villabrile's system, and his successor, Ben Largusa. Currently, we only learn it as a cultural/historical aspect. We still perform the traditional salutes though.
    The oracion is said before class to instill a deep sense of spirituality, and inject a moral and ethical dimension to practicing the art. It also instills a warriorlike idea to the student, and provides a spiritual verse to instill a notion of a supreme being, or fate, destiny whathaveyou.
    Anting Anting was also a belief by Regino Illustrisimo (and of coursee, many other Filipino Kali/Escrimadors) , and IIRC also Guro Villabrile. Illustrisimo had a series of tattoos IIRC, on his lower leg, and I believe Villabrile on his arm?
    The tatoos were magical phrases designed to protect from being cut in battle. However, IIRC they only took effect on certain days.
    One day, legend tells it, that (either Illustrisimo or Villabrile) decided to fight on a non protected day. And guess what? He got cut. His wife tried to stop him from doing so, but he believed in his skill, and felt he could perform without the protection of the Anting Anting.
    Hope this shed a little light.

GD

Thanks

From Bakbakan's website:

Shrouded in secrecy and mystery, the anting-anting is a subject close to the Filipino's heart. It holds promise of invincibility, of victory and of heroic deeds. Legends have been born and men have died because of the lure of the mysterious and powerful anting-anting.

The anting-anting made a resurgence into popularity in the early 70's when the film Nardong Putik chronicling the life of the outlaw Leonardo Manecio made its debut. The hero of the film, a local Robin Hood, credited his ability to survive and escape numerous ambushes and gunfights to his anting-anting.

There is much dispute as to what his anting-anting really was. Some claim it was a smooth pebble of rare and mysterious material that Nardong Putik kept under his tongue. While others say it is a 66-day old fetus that he kept in a small crystal container. Whatever his anting-anting was, Nardong Putik's ability to elude the law and his enemies made him a legend and a hero to many people.

Jikiri, the noted Muslim pirate, eluded the Philippine Constabulary and U. S. soldiers for over three years. Yet Jikiri boldly operated in broad daylight. The legendary source of his galing (gift) -- an anting-anting, of course.
    These stories and more contribute to the growing number of legends and belief in the efficacy of the anting-anting. Combined with the equally mysterious Orascion (a special verse or prayer), warriors can be psyched to become confident and daring to undertake suicidal missions.
    There are many prescribed ways of acquiring an anting-anting. The easiest is to have an existing, sacred anting-anting bestowed to you as an inheritance or reward. This happens very rarely, for the agimat (amulet) is usually buried with its owner and master for continued protection against spirits from the nether world.

Stealing an anting-anting makes it lose its power and is therefore a useless alternative. An anting-anting loses its power when it leaves its master's possession without his knowledge or blessing. Various types of anting-anting can be bought at holy places but these are patay (dead/blanks) with no power whatsoever. These blanks have to undergo sacred and secret rituals to become empowered and effective.

There are many different methods to make an anting-anting sagrado (sacred). The most popular day for the anting-anting to have birtud (power) is on Good Friday. This, according to legend, is when God abandons His creation and the spirits roam freely and can be lured, captured, harnessed and enslaved by the brave and mighty. Another popular occasion is at midnight during a full moon with the ritual taking place at a cross road or a cemetery with a sacrificial black cat as a bait or offering.

Another kind of anting-anting, known as Mutya, comes from plants, such as a banana or a palm tree. This requires a lot of patience and diligence for one has to wait until the heart of the banana discharges its essence, a crystal clear solid drop that must not be allowed to touch the ground and must be swallowed immediately. With this captive prize, legends say that a successful and prosperous life is guaranteed.

Some types of anting-anting or orascion are meant as love charms. Most are for protection -- against the forces of darkness, against one's enemies, and even against sickness. Others are for special gifts, such as the mysterious and esoteric art of Hilot (massage and healing), Hula (fortune telling) and Kulam (spells and witchcraft).

However, every anting-anting and every orascion carries with it an immutable commitment. One must be prepared to perform the required rituals, the mandated daily devotion, the annual pilgrimage, to keep the birtud of the anting-anting.

Man will always be fascinated with this mysterious harbinger of success, victory and protection. Many, though not all, of the Philippine Grand Masters and Masters of martial arts believe in the power and protection of the anting-anting and orascion.
    And everyone of these believers, without exception, recognize the value and worth of diligence, dedication and discipline in martial arts training. Like the anting-anting, the easiest way to learn a martial art is to find a good teacher, a worthy master. Someone who, like the anting-anting's master, will pass on to you, the secret and power of his own knowledge and skills. Again, like the anting-anting, this knowledge and skill must be nurtured with diligent practice, with moral righteousness, discipline, devotion and dedication.

Thanks

I believe there are mysteries that are unexplainable and realms we shouldn't mess with, for every anting that may be good lies the flipside of that coin. I have seen some creepy things in my life pertaining to black magic etc. I also have a book of black prayers (oracions) from the Philippines that was given to me by a fellow FMA practitioner who also dabbled in the metaphysical....I was instructed that they were powerful and not to be taken lightly...the book according to him was blessed in blood. A load of crap? Perhaps but I do not take any chances when it comes to such matters.

In Islam there are many facets of the metaphysical that are unexplainable as well....the jinn do come if one summons them....beware the opening of the doors to the heart, what goes out may be pure but what comes back may not be that which is wanted.

Tread lightly in these matters...belief or not is not the issue, the issue lies in the mind of those who do believe and there in lies the danger.
    "Do you want to be an eskrimador, or just say you are one ?"

Thanks

Mark Wiley covers Oraciones and Anting-Anting in his book, Filipino Martial Culture.

From what I recall, Oraciones are prayers, recited before the practioner played/fought, depending on the circumstances. Anting-Anting were more like amulets. Either/both could only be passed on from one practioner to another at the end of the first practioner's life; when deemed necessary (master to student prior to a patayan (death match) or perhaps a "challenge match"; or when deemed to be no longer needed (retirement). They had to be inhereted and could not be taken by force or thier "power" would and effectiveness would fade and eventually disappear.

I highly recommend Wiley's book for further study in this subject.
    Anthony Manansala
    Kabaroan Certified Master Instructor

Associated Grandmaster Ed Bansuelo, W.O.R. (Warriors of Righteousness)
    Grandmaster Ramiro Estalilla, Estalilla Kabaroan Eskrima - Higher Realms Martial Arts

"to humanize the art, civilize the artist and refine the system" - GM Ramiro Estalilla, Jr.

Thanks

i highly recommend not touching this stuff, its high maintenance.
    by the way good friday is the day that people charge and try out their mystical stuff.

Thanks

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5hCczfGYv0

That's a great video on this subject. Enjoy!

Thanks

that's anting anting gone wrong...ouch

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The misunderstanding about the prayer on my grandfather Regino Elustrisimo(Ilustrisimo) leg, it was the Lord's prayer/Our Father in Latin that his two brothers tattooed him with.

-usisero (bystander) Samuel Lauranilla

Thread Information