PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Archery?

arnisador
02-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I know that, like the atlatl (http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=400), the bow is a non-trivial weapon that essentially every culture has eventually developed. We still have people who practice Western archery, Japanese archery (kyudo), and so on; but I've never heard of a continuing tradition of Filipino archery. I also can't picture a painting of Filipino martial activities that includes the bow--mostly just swords and sticks.

Does anyone still practice a form of Filipino archery? I'm sure (Olympic-style or Japanese) archery is practiced there, but is there a native tradition that is still found?

arnisador
02-27-2006, 10:42 AM
On another note, I saw an ad in the Santa Fe (NM) paper for free boomerang lessons in the park. Surely this weapon made the jump from Australia to the Philippines at some point? Everyone had hunting sticks they threw ("kylies") but boomerangs, that retunr, are different.

ryangruhn
02-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Projectiles =)

Black Grass
02-28-2006, 08:23 AM
The bow was not a weapon of combat of the ancient Malay Filipinos but had limited use as a hunting tool. Their archery and bow making skills was not particular developed as the spanish observed upon there arrival. The weapon held is highest regards above all else was the spear.

However, Ata/Negrito/pygmy were/are know for there great skill with the bow and arrow.

Black Grass

bart
02-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I know that, like the atlatl (http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=400), the bow is a non-trivial weapon that essentially every culture has eventually developed. We still have people who practice Western archery, Japanese archery (kyudo), and so on; but I've never heard of a continuing tradition of Filipino archery. I also can't picture a painting of Filipino martial activities that includes the bow--mostly just swords and sticks.

Does anyone still practice a form of Filipino archery? I'm sure (Olympic-style or Japanese) archery is practiced there, but is there a native tradition that is still found?

My uncle had a talc mine in the mountains near Mount Pinatubo in Zambales. I went up there in the late 80's to see it and I wound up staying there for about 2 weeks. The Aeta who lived in that area occasionally used bows and arrows to hunt wild birds, chickens to be exact. They were masterful with them. The birds rarely flew but ran really fast, too fast to catch. The Aeta had a technique where they would draw the bowstring back and shoot almost straight up into the air. The arrow would then drop from a great height and hit the bird as it was running. It was amazing to see how they could track and hit moving targets like that.The bows were really tough to draw and although I could pull the string back, I had no luck in aiming much less angling the bow so that it would point up.

I went back to the area years later, two years or so after the eruption of the volcano. The Aeta people had been resettled down from the mountains. The volcano obliterated their way of life and the environment had forced them to live in temporary resettlement camps. The area where they used to live now looks like a chaparral or a moor rather than a tropical forest like before. I didn't see any bows at all, and I was looking for them.

Other than the Aetas I haven't heard anything about Filipino archery. There was a large following of western archery though. When it came to projectile weaponry interest was more toward firearms rather than blowguns, darts, or bows and arrows.

arnisador
03-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for sharing that story! What a pity to see a way of life disappear like that.

eskrimador
09-23-2006, 04:46 AM
The bow was not a weapon of combat of the ancient Malay Filipinos but had limited use as a hunting tool. Their archery and bow making skills was not particular developed as the spanish observed upon there arrival. The weapon held is highest regards above all else was the spear.

However, Ata/Negrito/pygmy were/are know for there great skill with the bow and arrow.

Black Grass

On my research and study in Philippine History, bow and arrow were used in warring tribes in Pre Hispanic time.As we know, the first kind of weapon that penetrated on leg of Ferdinand Magellan was an arrow when the attack the Mactan Island. And even in the 1896 Revolution, bow and arrow aside from bamboo spear, bolo and some rifles were used in its first phase of uprising against Spanish. But because of practicality attitude of most Filipinos with regard to weaponry, the used of bow and arrow, phased out from the scene. But not totally, even in the common gangster fight in the cities ,the used of home made arrow is important.

arnisador
09-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Home made arrows? Even today it's used, then!

eskrimador
09-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Most of the street fights between gangster in the cities, they usually armed with home made guns and home made arrow. This kind of home made arrow are combination of sling shot type bow and flattened/ sharpened nail to become an arrow.

And, I`ve observed, punches and kicks are secondary option for many guys who engage in street fight. Usually they prefer to use home made weapons, knife, stick or real guns. This is clear manifestation how arnis evolved and developed in the Philippines, that most Filipino prefer to fight with stick, sword or knife instead of the unarmed way.

Carol
09-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Most of the street fights between gangster in the cities, they usually armed with home made guns and home made arrow. This kind of home made arrow are combination of sling shot type bow and flattened/ sharpened nail to become an arrow.

I'm beginning to see why sling shots are illegal where I live. It is a simple weapon, yet quite devastating.

arnisador
10-06-2006, 09:13 AM
We keep talking about trying archery as a family, but the time never seems right.

fisherman
10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
We keep talking about trying archery as a family, but the time never seems right.

arnisador,

You should do it, my kids and wife love when I take them archery shooting. I shoot traditional type archery and have a 65lb draw longbow, but for the kids and wife you can pick up some cheap starter bows and some foam targets. Then just go to the park and find a empty corner preferably with a hill as a backstop and have at it. The kids will love it, and instinctive shooting (meaning no sights or gizmos) is good for coordination.

Ted

ScorpioVI
11-04-2007, 07:28 AM

Guilty.

I played with "Filipino Archery" as a kid growing up in Davao. Fun stuff. I'm working on recreating our "bow & arrow" so people here know the kind of, err, "games", we played.

arnisador
11-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Sounds neat! We need some vid clips.

BayaniWarrior
05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
How about this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1e46hizXDd0

bentit
09-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Filipino's where using bows and arrows pre-Hispanic era. As i remember, next to the aeta's(igorot) head hunting axes are their bow and arrows. When the spaniards colonized the Philippines, they outlawed any form of weapons. That is why today we practice knife and stick fighting, since Filipinos only had knives and sticks to train with and occasionally to kill with. The full length bow just got smaller. I remember my neighbors using a thing called "pana" or "indian pana" in some areas. It is basically a short stick wraped with ruber to fire projectiles.

Ron Kosakowski
10-02-2008, 12:09 PM
This is something intersting to me. I have often ponered on itbut not many in the Philippines know about it. I have been researching Igorot weapons, i noticed they use it. I have to look further there my next trip to the PI. On my Coat of Arms shield, it shows it as what is called the Pana. I would love to know more about it. I used to be a champion archer back in the 60's into the 70's. Once in a while i still pick one up and shoot with my kids.

By the way, is there a video out on this? The one above does not lead to anything on the subject.

bentit
10-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Filipino's where using bows and arrows pre-Hispanic era. As i remember, next to the aeta's(igorot) head hunting axes are their bow and arrows. When the spaniards colonized the Philippines, they outlawed any form of weapons. That is why today we practice knife and stick fighting, since Filipinos only had knives and sticks to train with and occasionally to kill with. The full length bow just got smaller. I remember my neighbors using a thing called "pana" or "indian pana" in some areas. It is basically a short stick wraped with ruber to fire projectiles.

here's what the indian pana looks like
http://www.primitiveweapons.com/products/pana.jpg

Kailat
10-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Well although i don't practice any form of martial art archery so to speak, I've been an avid archer for many years. I bow hunt and use modern archery often. In fact I try to go to the rnge as often aspossible w/ my buddy and we target practice as mhch as we can. I usually spend the winter months bow hunting! i wouldn't mind learning or getting into a more traditiona form of archery, although after being a more modern archer I don't know if I could just do it as an "art form"... hmm interesting

Ron Kosakowski
10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Is this a Filipino weapon from India? Or is this and Indian weapon? I never saw this before.

On the coat of arms, the archry set is called the Pana. Maybe another dialect?

Phil Mar Nadela
10-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Hey, that looks like what i use to make when i was a kid. local hoodlums use this allot where i use to live in Sampaloc, Manila and laguna. Easy to make and easy to hide. Not really lethal, Unless your really close or you get the target on vital areas (eyes,throat, etc.).

rideoutblades
10-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Gat Puno Abon Baet was telling us about this weapon during the seminar. He said it is also called "Apache". He said this is a common weapon among street thugs. It is easy to make and can be very deadly. Basically a 4" spike being shot into someone's body.

Ron Kosakowski
10-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Gat Puno Abon Baet was telling us about this weapon during the seminar. He said it is also called "Apache". He said this is a common weapon among street thugs. It is easy to make and can be very deadly. Basically a 4" spike being shot into someone's body.
I find this interesting. I can't see how it is used. Obviously its a projectile. Why up close...it doesn't go far? Whats this called? I ask because in my research, a Pana was the archery set.

rideoutblades
10-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Apparently it is used similar to a sling shot. You hold the nail or dart by the end and the hook by the tip of the dart connects to the metal loop on the band. It is easily concealed. Gat Puno Baet was explaining it to us in a restaurant and showed how he could shoot one from under the table into the booth next to us. He said at close range, 3-4 inches will penetrate which is enough to kill someone. Drawing back a bow and arrow in a restaurant or crowded area would probably draw more attention. Nothing like stating the obvious!

bentit
10-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I find this interesting. I can't see how it is used. Obviously its a projectile. Why up close...it doesn't go far? Whats this called? I ask because in my research, a Pana was the archery set.

Ron,
Pana just mean bow in Filipino. A Filipino bow looks like any indigenous bows out there in the world. The weapon i showed is a street weapon and has been called different names. I have known it to be called "indian pana" since my childhood. rideoutblades heard it was called "Apache". It is not a weapon from India. The name of this weapon seems like its derived from native american indians. For that i don't know why. I remembered shooting a chicken with one of these back in the phils. when I was young. The accurate range is about 20feet (maybe 25 max?) away. The arrow will start to tumble after a certain distance.

Ron Kosakowski
10-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Ron,
Pana just mean bow in Filipino. A Filipino bow looks like any indigenous bows out there in the world. The weapon i showed is a street weapon and has been called different names. I have known it to be called "indian pana" since my childhood. rideoutblades heard it was called "Apache". It is not a weapon from India. The name of this weapon seems like its derived from native american indians. For that i don't know why. I remembered shooting a chicken with one of these back in the phils. when I was young. The accurate range is about 20feet (maybe 25 max?) away. The arrow will start to tumble after a certain distance.
I thank you guys for the info. I find primitive weapons in general very interesting. Obviously being in the business. I am going to ask my friends in the Philippines if they can get me one of these. I won't be killing chickens with them though! http://fmatalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

The Phalanx
10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Speaking of primitive, back when I was a kid in PI we used this weapon that had a piece of leather with a string tied at each end... You place a rock on the leather, wind it up by rotating your arms, and let go...

That was our toy as kids, we did "war games" with it... Ahhhhh, good times...

Ron Kosakowski
10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Speaking of primitive, back when I was a kid in PI we used this weapon that had a piece of leather with a string tied at each end... You place a rock on the leather, wind it up by rotating your arms, and let go...

That was our toy as kids, we did "war games" with it... Ahhhhh, good times...We used to make home made bows and shoot arrows at each other. I think i would freak out if I saw my kids do that today. heheheh, maybe we were different as kids?http://fmatalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

BayaniWarrior
11-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I tried posting this link before but I don't think it worked.

Atienza Kali Combat Archery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB0WRoGmU8I)

As for the Pana slingshot (which bears my namesake), I have the exact one shown in the picture a few posts back in this thread. Very deadly. Very accurate...although the nails used for the darts are much, much bigger in the PI than the ones they show in that pic.

One individual from the PI that I know who used those things back home in real fights told me it was a weapon best used within 5 feet. You walked up to the victim discreetly and just aimed and fired...then you moved onto the next guy.

-Mike Pana

Phil Mar Nadela
11-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I tried posting this link before but I don't think it worked.

Atienza Kali Combat Archery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB0WRoGmU8I)

As for the Pana slingshot (which bears my namesake), I have the exact one shown in the picture a few posts back in this thread. Very deadly. Very accurate...although the nails used for the darts are much, much bigger in the PI than the ones they show in that pic.

One individual from the PI that I know who used those things back home in real fights told me it was a weapon best used within 5 feet. You walked up to the victim discreetly and just aimed and fired...then you moved onto the next guy.

-Mike Pana

Really cool video!

Does this style of archery a part of Antenzia style since its founding?

el maldito de cebu
11-05-2008, 01:08 AM
I've seen filipino archery In the Northern part of the phils. In zambales, ifugao area and among the mangyan trive. also in the western visayas specially the negritos trive but in the central visayas area the San Miguel eskrima specializes in dagger darting, similar with the PTtersia but when we go to the southern part of the phils. there we can see the use of bow and arrow and a tohto which is fluete like with a poisonous dart use for hunting. Very prominent of Indomalayo Region. these may signify that the history of the phil.archery is interconnected with its neighboring countrys. I hope phil. archery was popularised and devt. not by just forgotten in the past.

BayaniWarrior
11-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Really cool video!

Does this style of archery a part of Antenzia style since its founding?

The Atienza brothers have been practicing the combative applications of blade work and archery since childhood. Growing up in Jamaica, Queens NYC...they were exposed to many violent situations, and their training in the use of the bow and arrow was used mainly as a method to protect the household from intruders.

el maldito de cebu
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
that was called the indian pana. it is also present here in cebu but it must be used by a skilled usser otherwise you could be hit by it. It has no guide and the rubber is the main trigger it is manipulate only by an indian pana archer. I never taught that these could also be a part of the indigenous pana beacuase these was use din urban areas an usually made with improvised equipement by gangsters just like IED of the terrorist group alkhaida. different weapons same roots how Ironic"

Raul
11-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I find this interesting. I can't see how it is used. Obviously its a projectile. Why up close...it doesn't go far? Whats this called? I ask because in my research, a Pana was the archery set.It's called pana. Nowadays, only high school kids who have no access to guns use it. It doesn't go far. It won't cross over the length of a basketball court. It is only useful when you ambush a guy in a narrow alley as a prelude to your real attack.

arnisador
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Ttheir training in the use of the bow and arrow was used mainly as a method to protect the household from intruders.

Isn't a crossbow better at that range?